A Brief History of Solon United Methodist Church
It was late 1957 that a small group of Methodists met in a room in the Solon fire station to consider the possibility of forming a Methodist Church in Solon. The response was so positive that by 1959, an officially chartered Methodist church was in existence. It met regularly in rented space in Solon High School under the pastoral guidance of Rev. Keith Metzger, a student pastor at that time. It was known as First Methodist Church of Solon.
In 1961, the Church purchased property at the corner of SOM Center and Cannon Roads, with the intention of building facilities of their own. The dream finally came true when the ground was broken on March 22, 1964 and the congregation was in the their new church building for the first worship service on December 13th of the same year.
In 1968, with the national merger of the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist denominations, the Church became the Solon United Methodist Church.
The Church grew steadily in the sixties and the seventies, as the city of Solon grew as well. In 1979, plans were again made to build a new sanctuary to accommodate the now-larger congregation. The new building was completed in 1981.
In 2001 the newest addition to the building was completed which included children’s Sunday School space and nursery, a larger fellowship hall, more space for youth ministry, a music room, larger improved rest rooms, air conditioning and additional parking.